Latest Release: HDFView 3.1
HDFView is a visual tool for browsing and editing HDF4 and HDF5 files.
Using HDFView, you can
- view a file hierarchy in a tree structure
- create new files, add or delete groups and datasets
- view and modify the content of a dataset
- add, delete and modify attributes
About This Release: New features and changes, installation, documentation
Tutorial: Learn how to use HDFView to create, edit and view files
- Uses 64-bit object identifiers (for HDF5-1.10)
- Is packaged with the Java HDF4 and HDF5 Object packages
HDFView and the Java HDF Object Package for 32-bit object identifiers (HDF5-1.8) is ONLY available from the old support web site.
About This Release
HDFView 3.1 was built with HDF5-1.10.5, HDF4.2.14, and Open JDK 11.
It includes several important new features and changes:
- The HDFView software was reworked to reduce code duplication and to improve the display of objects. This will help significantly in maintaining the software.
- HDFView can now be built without the HDF4 library.
- Support was added for PPC64LE with GTK+-3.0.
Many bugs have also been fixed in this release. For a complete list of the new features and changes, please see the Release Notes.
The basics steps to install HDFView are:
- Set the HDFLIBS and HDF5LIBS environment variables to point to the install location of HDF4 and HDF5. (If you do not want to include the HDF4 library just set HDFLIBS to " ".)
For more information see the instructions for installing HDFView included in the source code.