HDF5 Fortran library documentation includes the following:
- HDF5 Fortran User Notes
- HDF5 Fortran Datatypes, Flags and Functions
- HDF5 C/Fortran Reference Manual
- New Features in the HDF5 Fortran Library: Adding Support for the Fortran 2003 Standard (PDF only)
Regarding Fortran environments:
The HDF5 Fortran library requires a Fortran 2003 environment in HDF5-1.10. If the Fortran compiler being used is Fortran 2003 compliant and the installed HDF5 library was configured with the
--enable-fortran option, then the resulting HDF5 Fortran library will include the Fortran 2003 environment.
Both Fortran 90 and Fortran 2003 environments are available. A small number of features are available only in Fortran 2003 environments, but most are available in both. The
--enable-fortran2003 flag must be specifically included in addition to the
--enable-fortran option, in order to provide a Fortran 2003 environment. Without this option, the resulting HDF5 Fortran library uses a Fortran 90 environment.
Regarding the HDF5 C/Fortran Reference Manual:
Throughout the reference manual, each Fortran subroutine description is presented alongside the corresponding C function description.
- Subroutines labeled Fortran 90, with no Fortran 2003 counterpart, are available in both Fortran 90 and Fortran 2003 environments.
- Subroutines labeled Fortran 2003, with no Fortran 90 counterpart, are available only in Fortran 2003 environments.
- If both Fortran 90 and Fortran 2003 versions of a subroutine are presented, use the version appropriate to the Fortran environment in which the application will be used.