The following topics are broadly applicable in HDF5 applications.
- Dynamic Plugins in HDF5 - Describes the use of dynamic plugins, including dynamically loaded filters, in HDF5. These plugins need not be registered with the HDF5 library.
- Using the Direct Chunk Write Function - Describes another way that chunks can be written to datasets
- Copying Committed Datatypes with H5Ocopy - Describes how to copy to another file a dataset that uses a committed datatype or an object with an attribute that uses a committed datatype so that the committed datatype in the destination file can be used by multiple objects
- HDF5 Metadata - Provides a comprehensive overview of the types of metadata used in HDF5
- HDF5 Data Flow Pipeline for H5Dread - Describes data flow when reading raw data from an HDF5 dataset
- Virtual Dataset - VDS - Describes how to present data stored in several HDF5 datasets and files as a single dataset and access the data using HDF5 APIs (HDF5-1.10)
The following topics are of interest in certain limited situations such as when space utilization or performance must be carefully tuned.
- Collective Metadata I/O - Describes optimizing HDF5 by collecting metadata I/O (HDF5-1.10)
- Metadata Caching in HDF5 - Provides detailed information for managing and tuning HDF5 metadata caching
- HDF5 File Image Operations - Describes how to work with HDF5 files in memory. Disk I/O is not required when file images are opened, created, read from, or written to
- Modified Region Writes - Describes how to set write operations for in-memory files so that only modified regions are written to storage. Available when the Core (Memory) VFD is used.
- Freeing Memory Allocated by the HDF5 Library - Describes how inconsistent memory management can cause heap corruption or resource leaks and possible solutions
- File Space Management - Describes mechanisms to manage space in an HDF5 file (HDF5-1.10)
- Fine-tuning the Metadata Cache - Describes how to provide better control of the metadata cache (HDF5-1.10)
- Enabling a Strict Consistency Semantics Model in Parallel HDF5 - Describes how to improve file access consistency semantics with the Parallel HDF5 library
- Page Buffering - Describes how to reduce the number of small accesses in HDF5 by buffering metadata and raw data accesses (HDF5-1.10)
- Partial Edge Chunks - Describes how to control the filtering of partial edge chunks to improve performance when extending datasets (HDF5-1.10)
- Single Writer/Multiple-Reader - Enables writing to a file while multiple readers are accessing it (HDF5-1.10)
- Thread-safe HDF5 - Information on thread-safety and concurrent access in HDF5